Monday, February 16, 2009

Increased insulin sensitivity

Adele started swimming lessons this past weekend. Every Saturday and Sunday morning from 10 to 11 am.

On weekends, she tends to sleep in a bit later, usually until around 7:30 - 8:00 am. This basically means that the insulin bolus to cover her breakfast is peaking 2 hours later, which is during the swimming lessons. Saturday, Adele's sugar was only 4.6 just before her swimming lesson and the 1.6 units that she had received for her breakfast was peaking. How much did she need to eat to avoid going low during her swimming? I guessed 24 grams of carbs (2 Fruit to Go bars) and her pump disconnected. I was very uneasy during the entire swimming lesson watching her from the grandstands. Other parents were relaxing drinking their tea/coffee and chit chatting while I was anxious hoping that Adele's sugar was good. I almost went to check her sugar half way through the course. I hate disturbing her that way and Adele hates it also.

Why was I so nervous? The first reason was that this was her first swimming class. I did not have any data to base my decision on. Some physical activities bring down Adele's sugar more than others. I really didn't know how "hard" they were going to swim and how Adele's sugar was going to react. The second reason is that for the past few days Adele has become more sensitive to insulin for some reason. The cold/flu that she had last weekend is gone, so the extra insulin needed to keep things in check during the illness is no longer needed which means that insulin scales need to be backed off. I have been gradually doing this for the past 4 or 5 days now but still was not sure that it was enough.

Adele's sugar was 5.8 after her swim, so my guesstimate was good. We won this time. But I still need to back things off even more. As you can see in the pic below, 2.7 before her bedtime snack tonight is way too low!

We'll try to get it right tomorrow... You've got to learn to be flexible when playing the Type 1 game !!!

No comments: