Friday, May 16, 2014

Maybe you're now old enough to understand why...



I really don’t think that I’ll ever be done blogging (or writing).  Yes, it does require time, which isn’t always something that most have plenty of, but it can also be a bit more complicated than that… 

Adele is in her senior year of junior high and is now online more than I am.  Like most teenagers, social media and the internet are a big part of her life now.  Most of my blog posts are quite raw, tell it like it is, don’t hold anything back writing and for this reason I would not want Adele to read them and misinterpret the content and feel bad in any way.  I really don’t know if Adele has ever spent time reading my blog, but it being there on the web, it is always a possibility.   

Adele, if you are reading this please know that we LOVE you very much and that we will ALWAYS be there to support you in every way that we can.  Type 1 gaming is a lot of work and very frustrating sometimes but none of this is your fault whatsoever.  You have often asked me why your name came up in the Type 1 lottery, and like always, I cannot give you an answer other than because you are strong enough to handle it.  Life often gives us challenges and Type 1 gaming is just one of them.  It’s not personal.  It’s not your fault.  You didn’t do anything to cause it.  You are not less because of it.  It just is. 

The best things in life require the most work and also force you to step out of your comfort zone.  The sweetest bike rides require work dedicated to bike maintenance and setup, regular saddle time to gain fitness and Mother Nature’s cooperation with perfect weather conditions.  Relationships require lots of time and attention as well as inevitable rough times working through many challenges and problems.  A close family unit requires consciously making time for each other, compromise and supporting each other through thick and thin.  But this discomfort and hard work are also the very reason WHY these things are the very best that life has to offer.  We never appreciate things that come easy…  Type 1 gaming doesn’t come easy and we appreciate and love you that much more because of it. 

The day of your diagnosis, I promised myself to do every single thing in my power to help, support and ensure your best care possible.  I never, ever regret or question all that I do for your Type 1 Diabetes and would do it all over again in a millisecond.  No questions asked.  You are worth every single second of effort that we put into your care.   

As Type 1 gamers, I believe that we have a responsibility to be part of the movement towards new Type 1 treatments and the quest for the cure.  This includes spreading much needed awareness and supporting research through JDRF.  It is our responsibility to speak up, to tell it like it really is.  Type 1 gaming mostly happens behind closed doors when no one else is looking or listening which is why I created this blog, to open this door even just a tiny bit in order to give outsiders a glimpse of what it’s like on the inside.  We owe this to ourselves and to all other Type 1 gamers.  We’re not complaining.  We’re speaking up. 

You’re you and you’re perfect just the way that you are.  You have all the tools within you to strive.  You are and always will be enough.  I wouldn’t change a single thing about you Adele…  Well, I’d take away your Diabetes if I could.  But, I think you already knew that.

I love you Adele

Papa

3 comments:

Joanne said...

This is so sweet. I hope she does read it one day and know exactly how special she is.

Mike Hoskins said...

Really enjoyed reading this post to your daughter, and love the line: "You're perfect the way you are." What a sweet letter-blog (yes, it's a thing) and she's so lucky to have you on her team! Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

Unknown said...

A great read, Mike! It is strange how sometimes life will throw you a curveball, and one can step up and hit it out of the park. You have turned your Type 1 experience into something that makes your family so much stronger than so many others. Keep riding, keep writing and but most of all, keep sharing!