Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Meditation Part 3





Meditation.  Part three.  A few years ago, a friend gifted me a wooden meditation bench that he had built.  Thank you @bruce_collin.  I had become somewhat bored with the guided meditations and felt like progressing to something new.  I started waking 20 minutes earlier to sit on my new bench.  Much more firm than a cushion, it still feels so very comfortable.  Not unlike my bike saddle.  My butt akin to an electronic device plugged into its charging station.  No voice telling me what to do.  In silence.  I simply sit.  Eyes closed.  Back straight.  Stepping out of my head.  Watching my thoughts go by.  Not trying to stop them.  Not trying to control them.  Not investing in them.  Simply observing.  Out of my ego.  Into my body.  Checking in on it.  Paying it a friendly visit.  Inhabiting it.  Feeling it.  All of it.  From head to toe.  Letting go of the need to know.  Letting go of the idea that I already know.  Letting it all go.  Letting it all drip down into the mat below.  Our minds are but a tool.  Our problem solving organ.  But we’re not meant to live there.  Non-doing.  Passive.  Meditation isn’t something that I do.  It’s something that I let existence do to me.  Meditation doesn’t change my bike riding.  It transforms it.  It makes my riding change me.  Taking the time to do nothing to show us that we are both nothing and everything all at the same time.  My current practice is very informal.  I don’t use a timer.  Like filling my car with gas, I simply stop when I feel full.  It’s when I don’t practice for a while that I notice how much it helps me be more present in my life.  More present for the enjoyable parts.  And more present for the unpleasant and difficult parts.

No comments: