Friday, December 12, 2008

Just shut it off

When managing Type 1 Diabetes you cannot take a break. It's a 24/7 job 365 days a year.
It's on my mind all the time. I think about it when I go to bed and it's the first thing I think about when I wake up. I occasionally wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it. The Type 1 diabetic (or caregiver) must always be aware of where his blood sugar is and where it's going, even throughout the night. Blood sugar values are almost never stable, even if Adele hasn't eaten.

We generally spend 1.5 to 2 hours per day physically doing tasks required to manage Adele's Diabetes. This includes checking blood sugar, calculating carbs consumed and insulin boluses, changing pump infusion sites... If all were equal, I would litterally find parenting so easy if Diabetes went away overnight. I'd probably get stressed and upset over other issues, but I'm just saying that initially it would be SOOOOO easy if it suddenly went away.

It's the only disease that I can think of (I do not have any medical training) where the patient (or caregiver) must decide the dose of medicine to administer. For other drugs, you simply follow what is prescribed on the medication (2 pills per day for example). With Type 1 Diabetes you must consider the quantity of food consumed, the blood sugar before eating and any remaining active insulin. It is never cut and dry.

No comments: