Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Surviving the holidays

On Christmas Eve, after getting home from church fairly late, Adele went to bed without eating her evening snack. Her sugar was 8.1 which is good before bed. But 1 hour later just when I was trying to go to bed she started dropping - 5.3 then 3.4 then 2.8. I gave her like 10 gummies (20 grams of sugar) and had to turn off her pump for close to 2 hours before her sugar started going up again. This meant it was 1 am before I was able to get to sleep. Michele checked her again at 3am and she had gone up to 15.6 - too high. So we needed to correct and went back to sleep, well Michele did, but I tossed and turned until 4:30 when Adele woke up and wanted to go open gifts. We said NO and told her that she needed to wait until at least 6am thinking she would go back to sleep. She didn't sleep after that and neither did I. So, at 6am I was assembling new toys, taking pictures / video and playing video games after a whole 2 hours of sleep. Rough morning, much better in the afternoon after a much needed quick nap before lunch.

Anyway, after this sudden drop in Adele's blood sugars around midnight I didn't make any basal changes since I thought that it was due to her not eating her bedtime snack. But then after going through basically the same thing for the following 4 nights even if she did eat her snack, I'm not so sure that it had anything to do with it. Around midnight her sugar has suddenly begun to drop - she is now very sensitive to insulin at that time which was not the case before. I still have no clue why this is suddenly happening, but I have managed to stabalize things a bit more as of last night. I was even able to go to sleep at 10:30!!

So I think we're good until it changes again in a few days or a few weeks. The Type 1 game is rarely boring...

No comments: