Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Out of hiding...


This blog is not dead. Let’s just say that it has been “hibernating”. My gaming strategy as of late has been acting and reacting and not so much analyzing. I’ve just been taking care of things without analyzing why or why not. I’ve been following the old Nike mantra “Just do it”.

It’s funny, because I can take a break from blogging. I can disappear from this virtual world whenever I choose to and for non-gaming followers, Type 1 Diabetes also goes away whenever I do. For gamers, it’s always there… We still deal with high blood sugars that don’t seem to want to go down even after you do everything right. We still deal with lows that make Adele feel all oozy and we still do multiple blood sugar checks throughout the day and night… every single day… and night.

As we’re getting closer to the 9 year anniversary of Adele’s diagnosis, I seem to be closer to accepting the diagnosis. What other choice do I have? But with this "acceptance" there also seems to be less motivation to keep working towards the search for a cure. I have noticed that for most Type 1 gamers, the energy put into Type 1 awareness and fundraising is inversely proportional to the number of years of Type 1 gaming. I don’t want it to be this way for myself.

In a few weeks, I will again be riding my bike as part of the national Cyclebetes relay to raise awareness and research funds for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation - JDRF.  In support of this, my posts will be back to the basics, explaining what Type 1 Diabetes is and what it entails.  We need a cure and hopefully my upcoming short and to-the-point posts will help explain why.  Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow...the part where you said the energy put forth towards a CURE is inversely related to the time since diagnosis made me take pause. You are so incredibly correct. I find I get apathetic in this department.

Welcome back...and good luck.

Lora said...

Hellooooo stranger!!!
I am in that "just do it" mode right now too. I kinda like it, but I know it cant last forever.