Thursday, May 20, 2021

Cracks


The cracks have been there for so long that I mostly didn’t notice them anymore.  Blending in with the wallpaper of my life.  Just looking away all this time.  Pretending that they weren’t there.  Making them invisible right in front of my eyes.  A brilliant plan that works.  For a while.  Until life starts shaking things up and exposing these cracks.  For me, it really doesn’t take much.  My overreaction  to little things revealing much bigger things.  Magnified.  These cracks.  Inviting me to look at what’s behind them.  Maybe that’s the purpose of these things that we deem as bad that always eventually happen in this life.  To gently shine a spotlight on these cracks.  To make room for the light to work itself in.  Highlighting what we’re still holding onto.  What can we do?  We can keep on resisting.  Keep on ignoring these cracks.  Or we can finally work on repairing them.  Kintsugi is a Japanese term that describes the art of fixing cracked and broken pottery with gold, making it stronger and highlighting where it was broken.  We’re all broken.  Cracked to some extent.  In order to grow and heal, we must allow ourselves to feel these cracks.  It’s been another rough week.  Our dog got sick again.  An anal gland abscess.  Life showing me the cracks in my complicated relationship with sickness.  Now, I just need to find myself some gold to put these pieces back together.


No comments: