Tuesday, April 7, 2020

2 meters




Have you noticed the sound of the birds chirping in the morning?  Lying in bed, as you wake, listen.  This melody instantly takes me back to my childhood and the excitement that I felt every spring.  Such a refreshingly joyous sound.  The sound of hope.  The sound of rebirth.  The sound of warmer days ahead.  The snow is melting.  Winter fat bike season is officially over.  I have switched to road riding the last few weeks.  Short loops around the neighborhood.  Social distancing on my bike is what I have mostly been doing the last few years, so in many ways it still feels somewhat normal.  I feel healthy, but with the amount of snot and phlegm that I often expel during my rides, it probably isn’t safe for me to ride with anyone else right now.  Very, very cautiously is how I always ride, especially now.  This surely isn’t time to be taking risks.  Our health care system has enough on its plate with Covid-19 already.  I usually ride the multi-use trails around the city as soon as they are dry, but I have been noticing that most trail users are not giving the 2 meter distance when passing.  If we don’t want to lose the right to keep using the trails we need to smarten up.  2 meters often means pulling over to one side of the trail or proceeding single file if you’re out walking or riding with someone from your household.  It really isn’t that complicated folks.  Our health care workers are literally putting their life on the line, the very least that we can do is follow the social distancing guidelines at all times.  Ride for your health.  But please ride smart and safe !

No comments: