Thursday, April 23, 2020

Satori




Satori.  Is it just me or is the sky a much clearer shade of blue since most of the planes aren’t flying anymore?  Like the sudden lifting of a certain haze.  The rays of light able to penetrate us deeper, energizing our souls.  Beams of hope greeting us from the heavens.  Glimmers of grace helping us navigate these heavy times.  Is it just me?  Have you noticed this as well?  I scouted a few new dirt / gravel roads last weekend.  The windy sunny days of late have done a great job of drying things up.  We still need a few more weeks for the base to harden and for the wet spots to dry a bit more, but I can surely feel a certain gravel excitement bubbling up inside of me.  The urgency that I used to feel to get out and get my training done has been replaced with the need to get out and pedal alone.  Far from the noise.  Far from the commotion.  Closer to the truth.  Closer to my true self.  Long solo rides were always what I enjoyed most about training.  And now, especially in these times of social distancing, every single ride is a solo ride.  Exploring new places, losing myself, way out there, then finding that I was never really lost.  Seeking outer spaciousness in order to show me my inner spaciousness.  Solo rides are about glimpses of presence.  In Zen, such glimpses are called Satori.  A part of me has been missing the social aspect of our sport lately.  But, to be honest, the best thing about cycling is definitely the brief moments of Satori on solo rides in the back of beyond.  Satori.

No comments: