Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Summertime Pace





 

Withered marsh lakes. Golden blond sun-baked fields. Dusty dehydrated trails. Thin dirt soot, stirred up as I roll through it. Light, icing sugar consistency, powder soil airbrushed onto my exposed sweaty skin. Planning rides around water bottle refills. This summer has been hot. Stinking hot. And dry. Driest in the last 40 years apparently. Funny thing is that I remember that summer also. 1980. The year that I got my Honda XR 75 dirt bike. The summer that we weren’t allowed in the woods for a few weeks. I vividly remember it because it was awesome. Just like this summer. I really don’t mind riding in the midday heat. I love it actually. No extra layers of clothing. A light breeze generated by my forward pedaling movement. So simple. So pure. So loose. So unrestricted. Summer’s climax. Long days and long nights. There is no doubt that my body and mind thrive this time of the year. A certain ease setting in. Sunshine vitality. More bike time. Riding regularly is certainly a huge wellness contributor that fuels my inner dog days fire. Not too much. Not too little. Five, maybe six ride days per week is enough. Not too fast. Not too slow. Fast enough to get my blood flowing. Slow enough that my brain still isn’t oxygen deprived. Centered. This summertime pace feels so natural to me. It just feels so right.

No comments: