Thursday, August 26, 2021

Summer savoring




This whole deal.  All of it.  It’s only temporary.  This life.  This body.  This stuff that I have acquired as an exchange for my time and energy.  This fitness.  This summer weather.  It’s all just a limited time offering.  I believe that it’s very important to remind ourselves often of this fact.  To help us appreciate.  Cherish it while it lasts.  Treasure it before it’s all gone.  But lately, I have been feeling the flip side of this truth which has been creating a certain sense of urgency.  A sense of life passing me by.  A rush to get in as much as possible.  A mad dash to enjoy every single moment.  A fear of missing out.  Summer.  Heat.  Abundant light.  I just seem to thrive in these conditions.  Vacation.  Lightweight.  Easy.  My favorite season.  But this year, seemingly more than others, I feel like my summertime motivation has become infected with a strong anxiety fed drive.  Too much of a good thing that I simultaneously need to resist and give into.  Appreciating each moment by mindfully slowing down and doing less.  Less is more.  Subtracting is adding.  Lowering is heightening.  So very counterintuitive.  As we glide through the backside of this summer’s climax, I need to remind myself that I suffer whenever my life simply becomes a continuous succession of one thing after another without pauses in between.  Summer isn’t over yet.  May we remember to give ourselves enough breathing room to fully savor the last few bites.

 

No comments: