Friday, July 24, 2020

Timeless



 

Close to 30 years ago, in April 1991, I bought my very first mountain bike from Mike’s Bike Shop in Shediac. A Trek 7000. Fluorescent green splattered over gloss black paint colour. Aluminum frame. Rigid fork. After mostly riding alone that first year, I joined the Moncton Mountain Bike Club in 1992. Tuesday night group rides were the highlight of my week. Exploring new areas. Most rides led by club founders Pete Cormier and Michel Charron. Thinking back, I’m pretty sure I attended every single one of those weekly rides that year. Fast forward 28 years later, I find myself riding again with Pete and Michel. Still exploring. Even riding some of the same trails that we rode way back when. Full circle. Bikes have changed immensely. Hair is grayer or non-existent. But the ride feeling is exactly the same. That same feeling that I always get every single time my legs turn the pedals. Just like when I first learned how to ride as a young kid. Timeless. Unchanged. If you have ever felt this feeling, you know. And if you know, as long as you physically can ride a bike, I really think that you should. I know for sure that I will.

No comments: