Friday, July 23, 2021

Just a moment




I have been alive on this earth for over 1.6 trillion seconds.  For over 1.6 trillion moments.  Where did they all go?  So many wasted.  So many simply endured.  Waiting for the weekend.  Waiting for the nice weather.  Waiting to graduate.  Waiting for the next big thing.  So much time squandered paying my dues.  So many of these moments exhausted as a means to a thought to be better future end.  Our entire lives are really but a series of moments.  Forever fleeting.  Forever passing us by.  What can we do?  We’re taught to make every moment count.  But what if we simply focus on making all moments equal?  What if we stop giving more importance to certain moments than others?  What if we stop cheating ourselves of so many present moments?  Looking back, as a child there was always something to look forward to.  Summer vacation.  Christmas.  Birthdays.  But, for some reason, I didn’t dull or minimize the other moments as much as I do now as an adult.  I didn’t try to set myself up for bigger moments.  I simply lived more moment by moment.  That’s one thing that I hate about bucket lists.  They reduce life to too few moments.  Living a good life isn’t just in the highlights.  It’s everything in between.  I rode out to Sackville twice this past week.  Nothing special.  Just me and my bike.  Two different bakery cafes.  Reminding myself that we’re all always running out of moments every single moment.  Savor this very moment.  No one knows how many we have left.

 

No comments: