Monday, July 5, 2021

Second Life




“We have two lives.  The second begins when we realize we only have one.” – Confucius 

My second life started 5 years ago today.  My last race.  I almost didn’t go.  I just wasn’t feeling it.  Bell lap.  That rooty downhill.  Too tired to be descending that fast.  My hand slipped.  The helmet didn’t break.  A minor concussion they said.  Everything should be back to normal in a week or so.  But it wasn’t.  It still isn’t.  Certain changes in my brain chemistry.  A rewiring of sorts.  A hard reset.  Most everyone doesn’t realize how much that crash has changed me.  There is the me before.  And there is the me after.  Two different people.  I can’t explain it any other way.  The impact of my fall changing the vibrational frequency of every single cell in my body.  Killing me and bringing me back to life.  Shattering my ego.  Waking me up.  Completely smashing me wide open.  All of my past trauma fully exposed.  Working on myself.  The daunting task of cleaning up this mess.  Letting the old me wither and die.  Releasing what wasn’t mine to carry in the first place.  Healing.  Better than I was before.  Happier.  Heartfelt happiness unlike the short moments of elation that I was constantly chasing before, always right there but still forever fleeting.  Deep-rooted.  A knowing that everything is going to be OK in the end.  The courage to change what I have the power to change.  Some days are amazingly good.  Other days are still painfully difficult.  A new mental health perspective slowly gained.  And, through it all, the one thing that I am certain about is that I like me better the second time around.

 

No comments: