Monday, October 4, 2021

Truth and Reconciliation


“The truth was a mirror in the hands of god.  It fell, and broke into pieces.  Everybody took a piece of it, and they looked at it and thought they had the truth.” – Rumi 

I remember seeing a swastika hand written on a desk in middle school before knowing what it really meant.  I remember learning about the holocaust  a few years later.  At the time, these stories didn’t seem real to me.  It felt more like a fictional horror movie .  Surreal.  As the reality of it all sunk in, I remember thinking how ashamed I would feel if I were German.  Even if I were not alive during the second world war, how could they live and walk on the same soil that these unthinkable atrocities took place on at the hands of their ancestors.  But I wasn’t there.  It wasn’t me.  And things like these would never happen in Canada.  When I first heard about Canadian residential schools from my daughter a few years ago, I didn’t understand what it really meant.  They still existed when I was her age, so maybe that’s why I didn’t learn about them when I was in school?  Or maybe I did but didn’t really understand what it all meant at the time?  As this reality slowly sinks in, my heart breaks into pieces for all the trauma suffered at the hands of my ancestors.  On this National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, I pause to recognize and honor our First Nations, Inuit and Metis brothers and sisters.  Even if there is no way to undo all the unthinkable wrong that has been done, please allow me to also feel even a tiny bit of your pain and know that I stand by you as you mourn all that was lost.  Some things in life can never be fixed.  They can only be carried.  At the very least, please know that you are not alone to carry this burden. 
 

No comments: