Monday, December 1, 2008

Tis the season

Last Saturday evening was the Santa Claus parade. The weather was good - no precipitation and around zero degrees. Adele had made plans to meet her friends and was very excited!

Adele's sugar was high before supper 16.3. I gave her 1 unit to bring this down before she ate. Because of the excitement she wasn't very hungry and ended up eating very little for supper. With not much in her stomach and lots of insulin on board was she going to go low later?

We found our spot along Main street about 45 minutes before the parade was about to arrive. I checked Adele's sugar at 6:45 and she had gone down to 7.4. This was good, almost too good since the parade hadn't started yet and we were going to be standing there for over an hour, so I gave her a Fruit to Go and turned off her pump for 1 hour. As soon as we got to the car after the parade, I proceeded to test her sugar again but the meter didn't work because of the cold. I hoped she was good...

After we got home and I managed to warm-up the meter I was able to test her sugar. She was 15.3. The Fruit to Go and pump off for 1 hour was too much. That's how the Type 1 game goes sometimes...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know you but I live your life and have for 10 years now, as a mom of 2 diabetics..always meant to go to a support group..someday I will. thanks for sharing because in some small way I am sure it is theraputic not only for yourself but for those of us who read it:)