Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Is it supposed to become easier?


Even after over 6 years of having Type 1 Diabetes being part of our daily family life I realize that it doesn't really get any easier. I mean you become more knowledgeable, but it's still a constant struggle each and every minute of every day. With work, we tend to say "If I can just finish this project and get to the weekend". With school, we tend to say "If I can just finish this homework, exam...". But you can't say this with Type 1 Diabetes, it's a life-long, 24 / 7 struggle that never ever goes away.

As a perfectionist, for a long time I beat myself up thinking that everyone else (or most families that we had contact with) living with Type 1 had stable sugars all of the time. They'd talk about values of 5 or 6 day in and day out. With us, we rarely have a long string of perfect numbers like that. Adele is either too high or too low at least once every day or every other day. I kept thinking "What were we doing wrong or different than everyone else?" I now know that our reality is indeed normal and pretty much what everyone else is going through. It made me feel better reading blogs of professional athletes who live a very, very disciplined life and have excellent control of their Type 1 Diabetes and still have similar ups and downs. It's part of the Type 1 game no matter how good of a gamer that you are...

That's why insulin is not a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Even with the tightest control, the diabetic will still have high and low blood sugar values regularly. The difference between good and bad control is the severity, duration and frequency of these highs and lows. In all cases, long term damage is being done to vital organs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mike. Parenting is tough enough under "normal" circumstances. All the work and love you and Michèle are putting into caring for Adèle is truly an inspiration.

This blog was a great idea. I know it cleared up a lot of misconceptions I had concerning Type 1 Diabetes.

Keep up the good work!

Nicolas

Anonymous said...

They say you learn something every day, but it’s not every day you actually learn something meaningful.

I think it’s awesome that you take some of your time to share your knowledge and most of all your experiences with the public.

I tip my hat to you!

Pierre